Saturday, September 25, 2010

Keeping it simple

Alhamdulillah, going for umrah teaches you many lessons, not only spiritual lessons, but practical lessons that can be applied to everyday life to help you live a happier life. For me one of these lessons was that we are supposed to live as simply as possible, extravagance and waste has no place in the lives of Muslims.

Although we all know this, sometimes we still get carried away and we forget exactly how we are supposed to be living. One day as I was sitting in the Haram Sharief in Makkah it dawned upon me that actually even those of us who think we’re living simple lives are still way too extravagant. I was waiting for Salaah to commence, I went early and had a lot of space to perform my Salaah very comfortably, then just before the Fardh Salaah began crowds of women filled the space around so much that all I had was a tiny little space to perform my Salaah. At first I was a bit disturbed by this, but anyone of you who has been for Hajj or Umrah will agree that there’s nothing much you can do about this situation. It always happens, the space becomes really packed at the time of Fardh Salaah and even if you were waiting for hours before that, you still only have enough space to put your head down in prostration.

The amazing thing was that although it was so full, each one of us had enough space to prostrate, and then it hit me. In life, all we really need is that tiny little space. Wanting more space to perform salaah too comfortably is extravagance. Allah (SWT) makes sure that every single one of His servants has the place that they need. Just like in life Allah makes sure that we all have what we need to survive. When we want more than what we really need, this is when the problems begin.

So, striving for more than what we need is actually a waste, and we will all be answerable to Allah for this on the Day of Judgement. All we really need is a simple life, where our needs are fulfilled, and nothing more than that. The single space to prostrate, with no extra space, that is all we need!

I know that it’s difficult to live a simple life with so many temptations around us, but one thing is certain, living simply brings about peace and contentment, and wanting more than we actually need is selfish because we are depriving others of what they should be getting. This is just one lesson that I’ve learnt on my umrah trip. I wish that I can always remember it and that I can begin to act upon it, and I wish that this teaches someone out there an important lesson as well.

Like I said, there are many lessons to be learnt from one umrah trip. Insha’Allah I will have the chance to share some more, and as always it would be great if people shared their lessons with me as well so that we learn and grow from each other’s experiences.

May Allah Almighty make it easy for each one of us to reach closeness to Him, and may He make it easy for us to learn from His signs and lessons, Insha'Allah Ameen!

Image taken from: http://www.eborg2.com/Islam.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment